Registration for admission tests to Laurea Magistrale degree courses in: Medicine and Surgery, Medicine and Surgery in the English language where offered by universities, Dentistry and Dental Prostheses, Veterinary Medicine, and for courses dedicated to the training of an Architect.The registration for the test is carried out online by the student and is not subject to the preliminary start of the pre-enrolment procedures at the diplomatic-consular Missions, which must, however, be initiated and formalized, as mandated, no later than the deadlines established by the calendars.
Institutions wishing to select candidates directly for their study courses prior to the university pre- enrolment procedure will be able to carry out their own preliminary evaluation of individual applications, requesting from the individual student a copy of academic qualifications and any other documents they consider useful for this preliminary evaluation (certification by official foreign bodies, certification issued by ENIC-NARIC centres, etc.). The institution will send the individual candidates, once found suitable for enrolment, a Letter of eligibility for enrolment, drawn up according to Form D4 attached to these procedures, which must be presented by the candidates to the diplomatic-consular Missions during the university pre-enrolment phase.
Candidates in possession of the Letter of eligibility for enrolment must present this document to the diplomatic-consular Missions during the university pre-enrolment procedures. The diplomatic-consular Missions, in the cases where the candidate presents a regular Letter of eligibility for enrolment, will verify all the elements related to the visa application for study purposes, with the exception of the academic evaluation concerning the qualifications for admission to courses, already carried out by the university institutions, agreeing on this point with the opinion expressed by the university, as per the current legislation, without prejudice to their assessment of whether or not to issue a visa.
The preventive acceptance by the institution does not in any case replace the actual pre-enrolment to the course. Once the pre-enrolment has been completed, all students must apply to the Italian diplomatic consular Mission of their country of residence for a university study/enrolment visa.
Documents drafted in a foreign language for consignment to diplomatic-consular Missions must be accompanied by an official translation into Italian. The Mission will return the original academic qualifications furnished with the consular legalization, except for those cases in which the Country where the qualifications were issued already applies the Apostille. The said documents will not be sent by the Missions to the Universities, but should be consigned directly by the student to the academic authorities during the period of completion of the enrolment procedures, following the methods and timelines adopted by the institution.
For the procedures of qualification evaluation performed by the institutions, the student can verify directly with the university applied to which kind of translation must be produced (sworn, certified etc.) and for which foreign languages said translation is, or is not, exempted.
In cases in which a foreign student already enrolled at an Italian University has abandoned his/her studies and requests a new enrolment at the same or a different University, he/she cannot use the specific student residency permit which was granted for the first enrolment. The decision to interrupt studies results in a shortcoming of the requisites stipulated for the stay in the national territory and, consequently, in the withdrawal of the authorizing permit.
Pre-enrolment request for Laurea Degree or Laurea Magistrale Degree courses
Students interested in Laurea degree or Laurea Magistrale a ciclo unico (single-cycle) degree courses:
- should present to the Italian Mission in the Country of origin6 an original request, according to Form A (English language version), in two copies;
- if they possess one of the academic qualifications in Attachment 1, they should choose only one of the study courses indicated in the list of available places. For those study courses where a unique national access test is necessary (Medicine and Surgery, Dentistry and Dental Prostheses, Veterinary Medicine and specific courses to become an Architect), the pre-enrolment request is also automatically presented for all the other Universities indicated at the time of enrolment for the test;
- if they possess a qualification contained in Attachment 2, they can choose a course irrespectively of the number of reserved places. The request is accepted by the diplomatic-consular Mission conditionally if the student is attending the last year of secondary education and is either yet to sit the final exam, or the special academic competence exams where provided for.
Documents to be presented to diplomatic-consular Missions:
- original copy of final secondary education qualification, obtained after at least 12 scholastic study years, or a fully legal substitute certificate;7
- certificate declaring the pass grade of an eventual special academic competence exam eventually required for entry to University in the Country of origin;
- two photographs (of which one must be authenticated by the Italian Mission having jurisdiction for that territory);
- should it exist, the Letter of eligibility for enrolment.
Documents normally requested by higher education institutions:
- original copy (or certified copy) of final secondary education leaving qualification, obtained after at least 12 scholastic study years,9 or a fully legal substitute certificate; the final qualification may be accompanied and at the discretion of each individual higher education institution by a declaration/statement released by an ENIC-NARIC centre, by a declaration of official foreign institutions or by a Dichiarazione di valore;10
- certificate declaring the pass grade of a special academic competence exam eventually required for entry to University in the Country of origin;
- eventual translation of the documents listed in points a and b
- other eventual documents requested by the university
Language proficiency test
Higher education institutions are obliged to test the linguistic ability of students for access to courses. Each institution must organise a test of proficiency in the Italian language, obligatory for all Laurea degree and Laurea Magistrale a ciclo unico (single-cycle) degree courses, except for those cases which are exempted as indicated in the paragraph below. This test is to be held preferably off- campus and before the visa application, thereby allowing for the certification of this proficiency during the request for a study visa, for an acceleration of such procedures and to lessen the pressure on the candidate.
The test of proficiency in the Italian language is not required for courses held in other languages, for which the individual universities can check for the possession of specific certification.
Exemption from the language proficiency test:
a) those students who have obtained certificates of proficiency in the Italian language with a grade not inferior to B2 level of the Council of Europe, awarded as determined by the CLIQ (Certificazione Lingua Italiana di Qualità) quality system, which unites in one association the current certification bodies (University for Foreigners of Perugia, University for Foreigners of Siena, Roma Tre University and the Dante Alighieri Society) and University for Foreigners “Dante Alighieri” of Reggio Calabria, as well as in convention with Italian Institutes of Culture abroad or other institutions. These certifications may be gained in the country of origin, in the approved exam centres found all over the world;
Exemption from the language test and quotas
For enrolment to Laurea degree and Laurea Magistrale a ciclo unico (single-cycle) degree courses, exemption is granted to, irrespectively of the number of reserved places:
- those students who hold the final 4- or 5-year secondary school diploma awarded by Italian State or State-recognised schools abroad;
- those students holding one of the final qualifications from a secondary School as listed in Attachment 2;
- the holders of equivalent certificates to the Middle School final qualification obtained in Argentina, which certify the attendance of a study course which includes the teaching, for at least 5 years, of the Italian language, according to Law n. 210 of 7.6.1999 (Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 152 of 1.7.1999);
- those students who have earned the certification in Italian language proficiency at the Universities for Foreigners of Perugia and Siena;
- those students who have earned the certification in Italian language proficiency, with a grade of C1 or C2 of the Council of Europe, awarded as determined by the CLIQ (Certificazione Lingua Italiana di Qualità) quality system, which unites in one association the current certification bodies (Universities for foreigners of Perugia, of Siena and of Reggio Calabria, Roma Tre University and the Dante Alighieri Society), also in convention with Italian Institutes of Culture abroad or other institutions.
For enrolment to Laurea Magistrale degree courses (should the University autonomously require the test) exemption is granted to those students holding the qualifications outlined in the previous letters d) and e).
Nobody may be admitted to further competitive or aptitude tests - if any - who has not passed the language test. As regards the Laurea Magistrale (non single-cycle) degree courses, independent decisions by the universities may mandate passing the test of proficiency in the Italian language. The following are exempted from the Italian language test, but subject to the limit of the specific number of places reserved for visa applicants and residents abroad: those students described in the following paragraph are exempted from the preliminary Italian language test and are enrolled independently of the fixed quota of places.